Posted on | November 18, 2013 | No Comments
UN Special Rapporteur on Disability – Testimony Session
Monday, 25 November 2013 from 13:30 to 16:00 (GMT)
London, United Kingdom
Posted on | October 14, 2013 | No Comments
Join Housing Action Southwark and Lambeth on Saturday 26th October 3-6pm at The Brix, St Matthews Church in Brixton (SW2 1JF). We will have information on the cuts to housing and welfare that are happening as well as providing a chance to discuss ways of taking action against our housing situations and getting decent housing for all! Food and childcare will be provided.
Posted on | October 31, 2012 | No Comments
London Coalition Against Poverty has published a pamphlet sharing some of our stories and experiences for others who would like to change injustices that affect our communities.
This builds on a discussion with other independent, grassroots groups that we published last year.
If you are able to order a few copies to distribute to your group, in a local bookshop or elsewhere, we’d love to hear from you too!
Posted on | October 23, 2012 | 3 Comments
When: 12:00, Saturday 27th October
Where: Stratford Westfield shopping centre, meet at upper entrance of Primark (near Disney store)
The latest gas and electricity price rises are a nail in many coffins. 65 people died every day last winter as a result of illnesses caused by cold homes. Many of these people were pensioners and disabled people. As energy company prices – and profits – soar, there will be many more deaths this year.
If we can’t afford to heat our homes we have a right to go into any warm building and make ourselves at home.
- We have the right to warm up inside the offices of those driving fuel poverty: the Big Six energy companies, the government, landlords and letting agents.
- We have the right to warm up inside public spaces threatened by cuts including libraries and day centres, which keep many people warm throughout the winter.
- We have the right to warm up inside warm, privatised spaces that keep us shut out including shops, banks and shopping centres.
Pensioners from the Greater London Pensioners’ Association will be asserting this right by coming out of their cold homes and warming up inside the toasty Westfield Stratford shopping centre.
- That the government reinstate the Winter Fuel Allowance in full (this has been cut by £50 for those over 60 and £100 for those over 80.)
- That the energy companies reinvest in affordable, cleaner and safer energy supplies and use their enormous profits to do so, instead of putting the cost on to the consumer.
- That the government acknowledge an entitlement of all including the sick, disabled people, the elderly and families with young children, to a well insulated, warm place to live in good repair.
Please come along to support this pensioner-led action. Meet at 12 noon, outside the upper entrance to Primark (near the Disney Store).
The action is being supported by Fuel Poverty Action.
Facebook: Fuel Poverty Action
Posted on | August 20, 2012 | No Comments
The background to these evictions can be read here: http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/meet-the-counihans-the-human-face-of-welfare-reform/keep looking »