The London Coalition Against Poverty, Disabled People’s Direct Action
Network and Feminist Fightback are calling on all groups and individuals concerned with the eroding of our welfare rights to take part in a week of action against the ‘Welfare Abolition Bill’.
As the government has bailed out banks and rewarded the bosses with big bonuses they have been stealthily pushing through a bill that will virtually abolish welfare for single parents and disabled people. Poor people are being forced to pay for the financial crisis caused by the rich.
The Bill proposes a number of draconian changes including:
- Introducing a compulsory work-for- benefits system in a US-styleworkfare scheme
- Privatising more of the work of Jobcentre Plus to companies which will be paid more the less benefits they award
- Increased punishments for claimants
- Cuts on carers’ allowance
- Compulsory two parent registration on birth certificates, including survivors of violence
The third reading is expected near the end of March. We need to stand with those targeted to oppose the passing of this bill by taking dissent to the streets, to the government offices, to the bankers and the bosses.
A toolkit will be available early next week with more information on the bill and suggestions for action. Join the planning email list here: